Christchurch Lantern Festival
18 Feb to 19 Feb
Unfortunately due to the wet weather and tonight's forecast the Christchurch Lantern Festival is cancelled for Saturday 18 Feb. There will be no food vendors or performers on-site however the lanterns will be left on for anyone who still wants to take a look. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Great news, Christchurch Lantern Festival will go ahead Sunday 19 February.
Food and craft stalls will commence from 1pm, entertainment will commence as per advertised programme (from 5pm).
The Christchurch Lantern Festival returns bigger than before to celebrate the Year of the Rooster.
Bring along your family and friends to experience Chinese culture through hundreds of vibrantly coloured lanterns including some new to Christchurch and New Zealand.
An event for everyone in the city featuring music, performance, dance, food and lanterns.
Port Hills Fire Update: There will be NO Fireworks as previously advertised. Council event staff have been in contact with Police and St John and they are supportive of this event still proceeding.
The Lantern Festival has been part of the Chinese New Year celebrations since the Han Dynasty (206BC - 221AD). Usually held on the 15th day of the first month of the lunar calendar, it marks the end of New Year festivities.
Wilson Parking and the Council have teamed up to offer cheap parking for this event. Select Wilson car parks within the central city will offer flat-rate car parking of $3 between 3pm - midnight on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 February.
The locations are:
- 118 Victoria St - 40 parks
- 374 Montreal St - 60 parks
- 55 Kilmore St - 30 parks
- 66-68 Kilmore St - 80 parks
- 76 Armagh St - 60 parks
- 109 Cambridge Tce - 30 parks
- 605 Colombo St - 35 parks
- 74 Worcester Blvd (Old Clarendon Tower site) - 60 parks
Other parking options include central city Council car parks and on street parking (various charges may apply), parking is not permitted on the grassed area of Cranmer Square.
There will be no public car parking available on Hagley Park.The Botanic Gardens Armagh Street car park will be closed to incoming traffic from 3pm on both days, with the exception of mobility card holders.
Drop-off zones will be located on Park terrace (between Armagh and Kilmore Streets) and Harper Ave.
Visit the Council website for more information on travel and parking at events
Mobility parking is available in the Botanic Gardens car park via the Armagh Street Bridge. Please note the entrance will be left-turn only from 3pm. A mobility pass must be visible.
WIN A TRIP FOR TWO TO QUEENSTOWN!
Share your favourite moment from the Christchurch Lantern Festival and go in the draw to win a trip for two to Queenstown, thanks to Air New Zealand and Queenstown Park Hotel.
Upload a pic from the Christchurch Lantern Festival onto any of your social channels and tag #chchlanternfest to go in the draw.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The Promotion allows the winning entrant (“Winner”) to win a return trip for two people from Christchurch to Queenstown flying Air New Zealand Economy Class and staying two nights at Queenstown Park Hotel (“Prize”).
2. Information on how to enter and the Prize form part of these Terms and Conditions. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
3. Participants may enter by uploading a photo from the Christchurch Lantern Festival onto either their Facebook, Instagram or Twitter account with the hashtag #chchlanternfest any time between 12.00am on Saturday 18 February and 11.59pm on 22 February 2017.
4. The following persons are not eligible to enter the Promotion:
i. Employees of Christchurch City Council, Air New Zealand and Queenstwon Park Hotel Group (“Promoters”) and, associated sponsor(s) and their respective immediate families;
ii. Employees and any associated sponsor of the Christchurch Lantern Festival and their immediate families;
5. Participants must be 18 years or over at the time of entry. Participants must have their image and/or social media account set to public in order to enter.
6. The winner will be advised and confirmed by a private message on the same social media account that was used to enter. If no contact is made with the Winner after 3 attempts, the Promoters may elect, at their sole discretion to draw a new winner.7. By participating, entrants irrevocably grant Christchurch City Council, Queenstown park Hotel or Air New Zealand exclusive permission to use their names, characters, photographs, videos, voices and likeness in connection with the Promotion and for future promotion and marketing purposes and waive any claims to royalty, right or remuneration for such use.
18 Feb to 19 Feb
|Time: 1pm - 10.30pm on Sunday 19 Feb|
|Venue: North Hagley Park|
|Facebook Event: Click here|
|Event Categories: Family, Festivals, Cultural, SummerTimes|